Tuesday, June 11, 2013

I am back !!! Macleay River Marathon: 3.38.25

Well I am not sure where that result has come from. 

Hospital a few weeks ago, recovery and not much running all pointed towards a much slower run. But what training I was doing was good but it was not long and not daily. At best every second day and no longer than 14k and that has been the way for about a month. Despite all that if felt okay and confident I could run strong but not sure how quick.

I what was probably a brain snap on the morning before the start looked at what i needed to average to run under 3.40. I have no idea why I should have or could have thought thought that was time to crunch. Any way I did and 5.12 pace is required.

That seemed okay at it was about the pace of my 14k training sessions. Problem is I needed to put 3 of those loops together. I stayed overnight in Kempsey so I had 40 minutes to decide on the final race plan. I decided I could manage that pace on a flat course for 14k and as I really had nothing to prove I would just see what would happen. 

I did need to keep easing back as 4.50 seemed to be the pace I was settling into if I didn't keep a regular  watch of the Garmin. 

It is an out and back course exactly. Reached halfway on 1.48.37 which is about 5.07 pace and I was holding the pace longer than I was expecting. Turned for home and knew it was going to hurt, it was getting warmer so the slow down was expected. I was slowing down, glance at the Garmin and then pick the pace back up. At each 5k split I was doing calculations and it was clear I was still holding a pace that would get me home under 3.40 provided I did not slip below 5.15 pace and that become the benchmark not to fall below.

Well as they say the rest is now history. Second lap 1.49.48 with just a 71 second fade. Could get much more even considering the 800m climb between 41 & 42k. Recovery before the trail Glow Worm Marathon in the Blue Mountains next Sunday. Trails and I do not mix - if I finish just under 7 hours I will be pleased. This one is about finishing and enjoying the wonderful scenery. 

2 comments:

TokyoRacer said...

Nice result - surprises like that are always nice.

800m climb at 41k! Sadists laid out that course!

Ewen said...

That's amazing Ray, considering your recent hospital visit. Good time!