Friday, June 21, 2013

Glow Worm Tunnel Trail Marathon : 6.54.26

Well I achieved my main aim of getting just under 7 hours - tick. 

Asa bonus I was not last 140th out of 153 finishers. The last few were out there for almost 2 hours longer than I was. Almost 9 hours is a long long day.

The first half is by far the toughest and I moved through it much better than last year. My power walking was much better and leg strength was also much better. It was very steep in sections the slowest 1k was 25 minutes of climbing up almost on all fours using tree roots and rocks and whatever you could use to pull your self up but going down is no quicker and it took about the same time on the way back.

Compared to the first half the second half is nice rolling small hills. Generally rising until about half way were you go through an old abandoned railway tunnel that is now taken over by glow worms.

The weather was perfect although very cold to start. The scenery was spectactular and very changeable. It might be difficult to say that I enjoyed it but it did not bat me like last year. Just the SMC half this Sunday. It will be slow as I have not fully recovered from this one. Then a weekend off then the Gold Coast marathon and then the marathons come almost weekly after that through July and August. 


Before the start with the sun catching the valley side


Looking down towards the start and yes we ran ? from the valley below






























From the same spot looking in the other direction 

No comments: