Monday, July 04, 2011

Sunday and Monday after Gold Coast

On the weekend I stayed with a school friend in the hinterland above Byron Bay. It is a pleasant 75 minutes drive to the marathon.

Om Sunday afternoon I was back on his farm and was able to stand in a swimming pool to recover. Well that's what they say and do - so about 30 minutes in a very cool pool up to the waist. After dinner we were having a lovely chat around the open fire when a call came to say that my mother had had a stroke and was in a bad way in hospital. It was too late to catch a plane and anyway Tiger has been stopped from flying and Virgin and Jetstar were fully booked.

I had seen her last weekend for my Birthday and so I stayed.

The next morning she was in a coma but steady. What else could i do but life goes on. So we were down milking the cow, feeding the goats, ducks and sheep. Quite different to a run around the Bay.

We flew back on Monday night and she was still in a coma and the medical advice was there was nothing that could be done for her and it was just a matter a a short time and she pass away. I accept that. That may seem lacking feeling but over the last 6 months my mother has deteriorated significantly and her quality of life was very low. Lets not dwell on that not that I don't care but there is nothing I can do to change what will happen.

1 comment:

plu said...

Hi Ray,

I was going to say sorry I missed you at the run but more importantly my thoughts are with you and your family.

Cheers Martin