Thursday, July 07, 2011

Gold Coast Marathon : 3.50.15

Lets not go into too much detail and history of what happened after my last post and the marathon other than to say the hammy played up again and I did not run a step in the week before the marathon.
So I was at the start line not knowing whether it would hold up for 42 meters or 42 kilometers or something in between. That is now the 3rd marathon in a row that I have started with a hammy injury and really no training. In fact I have not trained properly since 20 May. The day before that I stormed around the Bay in 28.57.
I decided that I would run steady for as long as I could and see what happened. I was surprised to be running at 5.20 pace and there was not a twinge. I stayed at that steady pace until 30k (through in 2.40.14 @ 5.18). The wheels then started to wobble and I slowed and finished the last 12.2k in 5.48 pace.
Splits 1.52 & 1.58. So about a 6% slow down.
I finished with no twinges and no issues. Pleased with that. The time was okay considering. I just need to have some solid training with no injuries for the second half of the year.

No comments: