Saturday, October 13, 2007

Fitzroy Falls Marathon : 3.56.xx

I drove down to the Southern Highlands early on Friday and had a wonderful lunch at a one hat resturant at Berrima. I then spent the rest of the day just doing some easy sightseeing in a wonderful part of the country that reminds me so much of England.

Last year I finished just under 5 hours in second half meltdown of nearly 3 hours in the heat. This year the plan was about the same as last year but with the hope of no second half disaster - that was to run the first half steady and get to halfway in just under 2 hours and then hope to hold the pace to the end. I got to halfway feeling good in about 1.56 so the first part of the plan was achieved. I was hoping the cooler weather this year would result is a better second half. I managed that with about a 2 hour second half.


I went into the run with a tendon problem behind the right knee. That caused me almost no problems but at about 36k a sharp pain in the right calf meant a major problem. I managed to limp to the end and was suprised that I almost held my pace despite the increasing discomfort. It is a problem that will have to be sorted out quickly with GNW close.

On the way home dropped into have a very pleasant afternoon tea with LucklLegs and Jim.


5 comments:

Ewen said...

Well done Ray. I hope everything is OK with the calf and knee for GNW.

sook54 said...

Good luck with your recovery. how do you manage to keep going for 7km with pain!?

Also must try out that restaurant sometime

Unknown said...

I had no idea you had an unjury when you called in, Ray. I hope it's nothing serious & that you will be in good form for GNW.

Great to see you & the family last Saturday....we must do it again!

Horrie said...

Hope the calf is not too bad and you can still do GNW. Take care and hope to see you out and about soon.

Sling Runner said...

Hi Eagle,

Solid effort considering you ran Melbourne the week before.

I'll be leaving the country soon, let's keep in touch via our blogs

The Slow & The Furious

http://slingrunner.blogspot.com/