Saturday, April 01, 2006

Easy around Bay

I gave the calf some intensive treatment yesterday and overnight. Went for a very easy run around the Bay and it did it no good in fact it got worse. It was certainly very tendor for the rest of the day. Clearly I now need to stop running for more than a few days to give it time to respond to treatment.

It is now a matter of getting it right so that I can get to the start line with a reasonable chance of finishing - no further thoughts of running to maintain fitness for the marathon - the only priority is to get to the start as fit as possible and I suspect that means no running until Thursday. Probabaly will be the best taper I have ever had the problem being it is not by choice and at this stage the mind games are so important and this injury creates very negatives vibes.

So over an out until after the marathon. I do not intend to give a day by day account of my progress. BUT I will be at the start line as I have had more serious injuries closer to the start of a marathon and have started and finished. The time in those marathons might not have be flash (Brisbane last year in 3.41 comes to mind) but I have never DNF'ed a marathon that I have started. Wouldn't miss Canberra - so see those running at the start line Sunday.

7 comments:

Tesso said...

Hope to be with you Ray!

Here's wishing both of us the best of weeks so we at least make it to the start line. From there the finish isn't too far :-)

Robert Song said...

See you at the start line.

Good luck with the calf and I hope it improves. You have really worked hard for this race and I imagine it would be disappointing not to be able to give it your best.

Katie said...

Take care Ray!!! See you at the start line. Thnaks for all your tips and encouragement! Your a tough cookie.... fingers crossed the calf plays nicely!

Clairie said...

Take care over the next few days Ray. Am so looking forward to seeing you in Canberra.

I do so hope you recover well and are able to finish well before me....I need you at the finish line to cheer me in!

Eat lots of greens and get lots of rest... *big hugs*

Rob said...

See you at the start line. I'll be the one in the Eskimo suit. I hope the calf comes good. Mine seems to have.

Jen said...

Take care of yourself Ray over the next few days and good luck on Sunday :-)

Ewen said...

Good luck on Sunday Ray. Hope it's not too cold for you.