Tuesday, May 07, 2019

Sunday 5th May: Sri Chimnoy Marathon: Royal National Park

This is a love/hate marathon. 

It is on a trail but not technical but enough tree roots, embedded rocks, lose rocks and twigs on the course that if you don't watch a fall is likely. I hate that aspect but love the peace, beauty and serenity and lushness of the Australian bush.

The course was very dry compared to in the past and the bush looked good. 

Being the oldest in the field it was only a few steps from the start and I was already at the rear. But the Sri Chimnoy people know me well and so will wait no matter how long I take although I am always very conscious of being last and their patience in eating for me. 

I didn't fall this time but my great friend Jane did and when I caught to her at about 18k she had had nasty fall with plenty of grazing  but no other injury but some lack of self confidence. So I agreed to stay with her to the end and run at her pace that is always much quicker than me.

We go back a long long time and have shared many marathons and ultras so it was pleasant to have the time for a long chat. Yes both with gold bling for age category wins - I  think we were the only ones in each. 

I am in Melbourne on the weekend to run another marathon and visit my daughter. Her and her mum will enjoy Sunday morning together and some shopping while I am running.


No comments: