Monday, May 27, 2019

Adelaide Marathon: 4.34.10


Adelaide Marathon on Sunday. Finished 4.34 - 5 minutes quicker than last year. 2.15/2.19 splits.I surprised myself not only on the time but almost holding the first half pace on the second half.

The weather was perfect. About 12 degrees at the start overcast and no wind. It stayed that way for the whole of my run except for a light shower and a breeze as it quickly passed over. 

I ran the whole race by myself with no music as I prefer. I reflected on my running career over the last 20 years and the marathons I run and all the other running events I have competed in during that time. This was brought on by this being marathon 313 and moving into second place for marathons run by an Australian.

At about 30k those thoughts disappeared as I focused on just getting to the finish. Afterwards I did further reflection as I quietly walked back to my hotel room as just another marathon finisher on the morning. 

I never set out to achieve that. I just enjoyed the challenge of the marathon in particular and just kept running them. Despite the body being put through over 10 years of alcohol abuse and addiction it came out the other side in good condition. I have no physical issues and certainly no knee, back etc problems. Not even a niggle. For that I am grateful and intend to use that gift of physical health for a long as I can. 

Retirement, not running as many marathons,  not likely at the moment. Stopping running will become and issue if the cutoff time for completion becomes a problem and I can't make them but that seems like a way off at the moment.

So with that in mind I have another one on the weekend and a few more after that. 





No comments: