Tuesday, October 07, 2014

Western Sydney Marathon : 3.24.49 !!!

What can I say about the time. First time under 3.25 since April 2009 which was my 100th marathon. This one marathon # 193. So just never say never. In my preview I had said I was running well and that I just needed the weather to be kind as regards temperature and wind.

It is a 6 lap course with the last 195m tacked onto the end. There was great cloud cover for the first 3 laps and running was reasonably pleasant. Then before you knew it the cloud cover was gone and the heat intensified quickly and there was a slight breeze but it was just circulating the hot air. The run then became an effort to maintain pace and focus.

After a while in the conditions you just want it over and pacing etc becomes less of a focus and just getting to the finish line becomes the objective and priority. At the time I felt the struggle to stay focused and on pace became much more difficult and in fact I didn't look at my watch much over the last 2/3 laps I just run.

At the time I thought I might just hold on for a sun 3.30 and then over the last 2/3k's I had a peek at my watch on elapsed time and tried to do some sums and thought maybe I would get under 3.30 but I was not sure by how much.

The 7k splits were interesting (in round figures) : 32/33/34/34/34/34.

So despite feeling the difficulty rising as the laps went by I was somehow able to hold my pace. I am almost as pleased with that compared to the time. Smile is still on my face.

I was out this morning just to get everything moving again to prepare for the Melbourne marathon on Sunday. No thoughts about time at the moment but might give the Bay a hot lap on Friday to try and give a sub 30.25 a push. Then I might speculate.

2 comments:

TokyoRacer said...

Nice! Well done on maintaining the pace.
Usually we are unpleasantly surprised by our marathon races, it's nice to be pleasantly surprised sometimes.

Ewen said...

Great run Ray. I'll look out for you on Sunday - hope we're lucky with the weather.