Friday, October 10, 2014

Preview Melbourne Marathon

Another week has rolled by and as another Sunday approaches there is once again another marathon to be run. This weekend the big daddy of them all with regard to entrants - approaching 8000 with no limit. The biggest in Australia by far. A bit different to the small but delightful country ones with 50/60. 

Melbourne marathon #12 and my second last one of the year. Only Carcoar to go. 

How did running go this week? Well good. I ran easy on Tuesday and Wednesday with some stretching in the mid of an easy Bay run. Quite relaxing and some warmish weather although it is variable at 5.30am each morning. 

I felt good on Thursday morning and thought I might just give a lap of the Bay a push. I have not done that for a few months and it was about March the last time I was under 30 but then again I have not tried during that time either. It was not comfortable for a 30.09 finish - dam I should have looked at my watch and squeezed a little bit more out of myself near the end. But no matter it was quicker than the 30.25 or so the week before and I had a quick marathon in my legs. 

Come Friday - just a slight chill in the air at 5.30am but still pleasant and ideal running weather. Slowly warmed up with the 750m run to the start of the Bay thinking should I or should I not have another lap. I couldn't resist and this time I was keeping an eye on the pace like and eagle eyeing a prey from high up in the sky. 

Pleasing to press the stop button for 29.50 and first time under 30 as a 65 year old being 4.19 pace for just a few steps under 7k. 

So where does that leave me for Sunday. A bit more speed that recently and a lot and and mean a lot of marathons run this year and lots of steady endurance running and all year injury free.

Can I go quicker than last week - yes I believe so.
Do I want to - absolutely
Do I think it is possible - yes 
Will I pacing for a 3.22 finish - yes 
Will it happen - unlikely but not through lack of effort.

The weather is predicted to be 28 by 10am and we start at 7am. I suspect the weather will result in a slow down.  If I miss will I be annoyed. No because I will have given it my best shot on the day. 

My daughter lives in Melbourne so We will spend time with her returning late Monday. As well as the marathon it is the start of the Melbourne Festival and we are fully booked with classical music, circuses and rock and roll music events during the weekend. 

No comments: