Friday, September 19, 2014

Preview: Sydney Marathon

Since GH run on Thursday & Friday. It was easy and felt okay. I have no niggles or blisters. Despite this I know I have not recovered. My muscles are still damaged and a few days rest and 2 easy days is not enough.

What would I like to run on Sunday. No slower than 3.59.59 as I have not run a Sydney marathon over 4. Having said that I should have a race pace plan before I start. I will assume that 3.30 is not a remote possibility because of the miler last weekend. It might have been possible if that had not been run.

Do I think I could run a 3.3x time. Best case result. I could go on I think  it will be 3.55 after a last 12k slow down as I will start off at 3.3x pace and see how long I can hold it. That should see me at 30k in about 2.26 - 2.28. If I reach 30k in that time ALL I have to do is hold on for another 12.2k at the same pace. Very much easier to say than to do on the day.

Not really fingers crossed. What happens is not luck. It is having a realistic race plan and staying with it as long as you can and if you you can't ease of and have another race pace. I think the secret is not to hang on as long as you can if it is clear you will slow down - make the decision to slow down early instead of the body do that. I believe if that happens the overall pace will be slower than making the decision to slow down early and try and maintain that slower pace for the rest of the race.

No comments: