Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Dubbo Marathon: 3.39.47

That completed the 21st marathon for the year. Just 4 to go being:

  •  Sydney
  • Western Sydney
  • Melbourne
  • Carcoar
It was my 9th under 3.40 and 4 have been under 3.30. Also the 10th in 10 weeks. One weekend there was no marathon to run that fitted in and another weekend I ran a double. It is certainly the best I have run in 3/4 years. I have no certain explanation as my training has been about the same but then again with marathons almost each weekend for 10 weeks there is not much training done apart from a recovery and that usually meant running easy on Tuesday. 

Then two solid days of about 14/15k. Friday and Saturday (yes I ran on the Saturday morning before the Sunday marathon) was usually about 8k and as quick as I could go around the Bay.

Dubbo

What a wonderful weekend in Dubbo.

I drove up on Friday afternoon with my wife ad daughter arriving just after sunset which by the way was a spectacular orange. Nice meal in town on Friday. Up early n Saturday morning for a 90 minute run around town and l the river. The after breakfast to the local Farmer's Market that had great fresh produce, local cheeses, fresh baked bred and other delights.

The off to the zoo for most of the day. What and experience.And the weather was clear and warm. Back to the motel to watch the last half of the Swans win. Dinner with a runner and his friends.

Sunday cool, clear skies and no wind.Three laps along the river That was fine it was scenic. 3.39 and happy with that with the GH 00 miler next weekend.

Home in Sydney by 6 pm. Just a perfect weekend away from Sydney. If the marathon is held next year I will be back.

Glasshouse 100 miler 

Starts Saturday morning and will take me about 28 hours if all goes to plan. But in an ultra they rarely go to plan. I know the course really well. This will be my 6th start with 5 100 mile finishes. But I still get nervous about whether I will finish and if there will time when I will need to call on all my experience and the will to complete or will it go smoothly with just the need to keep moving forward no matter what. 

All those thoughts disappear as soon as you start as you are then wholly focused on each step and what needs to be done with regard to that. 

So so pleased my running buddy 'Blue Dog' is travelling up with me after about 4 years away from the event. 

My concern gets raised when at 65 I am the oldest in the miler by 8 years. It doesn't really concern me but it does make me very determined to always keep in mind on the day the FIRST goal is just to finish and time is not relevant. Anything under the 30 hour cut off will be fine. Best possible expected time high 27's so that I am on the last 50k knowing I have plenty of time on my side. 

I will be back on the other side of this event. 

No comments: