Monday, September 15, 2014

GH 100 miler : Race Report


What a great weekend on the Sunshine Coast in south eastern Queensland. The weather was just perfect maybe a touch warn for a few hours in the middle of Saturday but if you were in an exposed position a light breeze but there are not many exposed positions on the course where I was at that time. However it could have been and has been much hotter in the past.


The night was perfect. Cool but not cold and an almost full moon. In some parts that meant I could and did turn of my lights and run by moonlight. Ad then being able to seethe wonderful sky full of stars. But enough of the BOM report.

My 7th start in 8 years (missed 2012when it clashed with the Sydney marathon) The first year I was lost all night in the eastern section and got a 100k finish. Since then 6 miler finishes with this one at 27.21 just 3 minutes slower that my 2011 PB.

Before starting the race I was concerned about whether I could finish. That just shows a healthy respect for the distance and what can go wrong in 28 hours or so and also taking into account my illness that in itself is not directly impacting on my running but what might occur in the future in never far out of my thoughts. However I try to ignore them if they come along as thinking about possibilities in the future is useless. If something happens the I will deal with it then.

What I eat has changed significantly over the last few months and it is not that useful in being fueled for a marathon let alone 100 miles. That concerned me more than anything else but I did try to eat normal on Friday and was selective what I ate at the aid stations. 

I ran with a friend until 92K when her issues caused her to withdraw. I continued on alone but was very comfortable with that. Anyway I never was close to any other runner at anytime to run together. I just kept moving and watching that I was never beyond being very comfortable and easily maintainable. That really how he race went for the next 70k. Food hydration ad feet were never an issue. Same shorts and socks for the whole race, to changed on dark for something dry and warmer and they stayed until the last CP when a short sleeved top s put on for the rising temperature soon after sunrise.

Changed my shoes at 110k because they were in my drop bag. I did not need to. They were my NB road marathon shoe and were perhaps more suited to the eastern section that is very flat.The Salomon trail shoes are bit stiff to me but on the trails that are fine for me. The NB's were perfect.

I was 38th of 40 finishers. With 67 starters there was a 40% DNF that is slightly higher than the overall race's history of 35%. Perhaps arising from the high numbers of first time 100 mile starters. What was please for me was the 9.41 time for the eastern section. That placed me 25th in the field. Nice to finish strong with the medial issues I have had and the strict eating plan. That made it difficult to properly carbo load and eat during the event but it appears what I did was okay. 

I did at the time feel like I was .. well not getting stronger as the race progressed but that I was not getting slower. The last section of 12.5k was run in 1.51 at an average pace of just under 9k an hour. Not fast compared to a marathon but to me good  for the last 12k of 162k.

My race is made possible by the RD and the many people who work behind the scenes, the vollies on the day and in particular those on the CP aid stations. Thank you to each and everyone of you. Ian the RD special thank you. I hope to be at the start next year.           

No comments: