Saturday, September 21, 2013

Post GH and pre Sydney Marathon

Saturday afternoon before the marathon is quiet. Just getting my mind ready for another marathon and importantly another Sydney marathon. It is my home town marathon so no traveling and because I live close to the start line that is easy as well.

I am reflecting that it seems much longer that 2 weeks ago that at this time I was almost at the halfway of the 100 miler. It seems much longer ago. Perhaps because I recovered physically much more quickly that I expected and resumed some hard training over the last week. Much harder than I could have reasonably expected. I had to make an effort to take Thursday and today off so that I would have a good chance of staying with the 3.45 bus tomorrow.

My reason for not really taking a taper was the intense focus I now have of putting in some solid training for GNW 100 miler. After GH there was serious thought to dropping back down to the 100k and saving myself for C2K. But after some thought and some discussion it is the miler at GNW.

I have 7 weeks and that is plenty of time to add to the base I have and do some specific sessions for all the climbs and descents. So stairs, hills sessions that are intense, squats with weights and whatever else I can do to train in a way that I think might help.

One aspect of of just plain training by running and running and more running then I will run this week Sydney marathon then in the following weeks:

  1. Glenbrook marathon:
  2. Lap of the Lake marathon at Penrith: and
  3. Fitzroy Falls marathon 
So 4 in 4 weeks and with little or not taper/recovery between them. That should set up a good base and improve on where I am at the moment and then give me 2/3 weeks before the event have a recovery from the marathons and then do a week of shorter higher intensity work and a good taper. 

Prediction for tomorrow. I will not be quicker than 3.45 because if the bus still passengers then I will stay with it if it has no passengers then I will run as I feel and maybe sneak in a minute or to under 3.45.

No comments: