Friday, November 05, 2010

Sad update ; injured !!!

I last posted after a great run on Tuesday 26th about 10 days ago.

After being injury free all year (the Achilles is not an injury just a problem that I need to live with) on Wednesday last week I pulled a hamstring while running the usual Bay with JD. Proff pulled up lame the week before. JD is wearing down and out his running buddies.

It could have been more serious but still serious enough to stop me from running since. It seems to be on the improve but I don't want to try it before time and go backwards by doing more harm than good. It could not have come at a worse time with the preparation for GNW thrown out. In fact I know I should not be running it but I need to at least keep my streak up of getting to the starting low however it will probably result in an early DNF and a 3/3 score line with me and the course.

I have now in desperation decided to use walking poles having never used them before. Even though I have not run I have had a couple of walks with them and think they may assist me although I am not fully used to them.

If I have any significant news before next weekend I will post again. But the next week is all about nursing along the recovery and hope it is almost fully recovered by then but the again 175k is a long way on a dodgy hammy. Fingers crossed!!!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Ray, I'm so sorry to hear of your injury. I've used walking poles a lot in the mountains & once you get the gait pattern & rhythm right, I suspect you won't regret the decision to use them.

Is your strained hammy on the side side as your achilles problem or the opposite side?

Hope the recovery is quick x

Noelle De Guzman said...

Hi Mr. Ray,

Sorry to read about your hamstring injury. Those are troublesome but I'm glad you're taking the time to let it recover!

I'm writing an article for Runner's World Philippines about marathons in the Asia region and was wondering if I could get any insights from you about the best ones to join in Australia, since you must have run practically all of them!

Sincerely,
Noelle De Guzman
http://kikayrunner.com