Sunday, February 08, 2009

9 weeks to Canberra - Base Building to Hills

Well the base building as such is over. 10 weeks at just under 150k a week. I have begun to feel very secure in this training but I know I now must start doing some other types of sessions during the next 9 week to increase my strength and speed. The end of the base building essentially sets the limits on what I can build on. My aerobic capacity will not increase much further and so the pace from that training is just abut set. The next 9 weeks is focused in developing my strenght and the fast/slow twitch muscles so that the base building speed can be increased.

It will also involve in a few weeks time some anaerobic work with runs faster that MP.

A consequence of the 3 hill sessions a week will be a big drop in the weekly k's as the hills sessions are intense in effort but not in the distance run.

9.6 Sunday 8 February: 33k @ 5.12
Hot and humid - just not a pleasant day for running it was a real struggle.

9.5 Monday 9 February : Hills
A 14k warm up @4.57 and then three sets of hills. The hills are being done with very high leg lift and very slow movement up hill. Then do a loop of about a k and up the hill again. Time and not relevant. I am not sure if these sessions will have any benefit but I have always wanted to do the full Lydiard build up and it includes hills and so it is in for better or for no benefit. If they have benefit I should see an increase in speed in a few weeks bases upon increased strength.

9.4 Tuesday 10 February : 3 x Bay
A kind of easy day depending on how I felt. That is try and run a lap of the Bay firm and then increase the next two if possible. Managed a good session perhaps because it was coll and wet. Laps of the Bay : 34.12/ 33.26/ 32.21. Noice.

Off tp Brisbane later today and overnight. So no run on Wednesday morning as I have to be on the first plane out in the morning. Damm!!!!!

9.3 Wednesday 11 February: No run in Brisbane

9.2 Thursday 12 February : Hills
Same session as Monday but I increased the distance and of the loop between running up the hill. The 14k warm up was at about 4.50 per k. Much too early in the 3 weeks of hills to know if it will/is having any affect/benefit.

9.1 Friday 13 February : 3 x Bay : 1.39.40 @ 4.43
The aim of the session is to run 3 laps the same with the first one firm and each one after that getting faster and faster. The first lap always feels as fast as I can go but it seems that once I get warmed up the pace is able to be increased despite what the mind is saying. It was a very good morning around the Bay for running with cool overcast conditions with some light rain.
33.48 @ 4.50
33.05 @ 4.44
32.27 @ 4.39

Twilight Series : 10k at Shelly Beach @ 4.14
The afternoon was wet cold and not inviting fora run. However I went and it was a very pleasant evening although wet and cold. Again with a lot of k's in my legs from the morning it is always difficult to know at what pace to run at. I also seem to feel like not running at all but once started I seem to get going okay.

I thought 44 was about right. Got to halfway in 21.50 and about in schedule. Sailaway then went out next to me and decided he woul dgive me something to chase. So he pushed hard and gianed a few meters, I pushed to catch up and just as I got on his shoudler he was away again. And so it went for the next 5k. Back in 20.50 for a negative split. Garmin said 10.1k for 4.14 overall pace and 4.09 on the second 5k.

Thoughts for the week
I now have serious doubts about 3 at Canberra as I would have to do 8 of those at that pace - really that just feels impossible at the moment. I am not depressed at the position but may have to radically revise my expected finishing time if things don't improve significantly over the next 6/7 weeks.

I am not sure what I can do other than continue the program and trust that what I am doing is planned to only have me race fit on the day and not before. I suppose if I was running comfortably at MP now I would be concerned that I have peaked too soon. I guess you can't have it both ways.









No comments: