Monday, February 23, 2009

7 weeks to Canberra : Hills, hills and more hills

The last week of hills before starting on some very short faster work and building up to longer and not so fast but all faster than 4.15 per k pace. Yes you may say the speed work begins !!! but only for 4 weeks and then the taper. Yikes where has the time gone since the 20 week countdown began in December.

8.6 Sunday 22 February: SMC 25k 1.51.57 @ 4.28
An overcast and pleasant day for running or at least pleasant for Smithy in February. Was hoping to go under 1.55 in fact I could say I was expecting that. But started of just a tad too conservative (read slow) and then eased off about after about 8k. Then kept it steady until about 15k when I realised that I was cruising along and not pushing it.I then forced the paced and pick up sometime to the end with the last 2 x 5k's getting quicker.

Still it is pleasing to average 4.28 that is not far off the 4.16 needed for the 3 hour marathon. It is a pleasing time but I was not pleased as I ran too soft at the start. There was not much in it but I suspect I could have got down to 4.24 pace - not much you say and I would agree but enough to be very pleased with if I had of run that pace.

I can still see the 3 hour bus in the near distance and I am not sure if in the next 7 week I will speed up enough to get on it at the start and stay on it for the 42.2k trip. I am sure the 30k TT in a month will be a good indicator. Let me say now I believe it needs to be at 4.21 - 4.25 pace to make me confident that the final weeks of training are heading very much in the right direction.

8.5 Monday 23 February : A real recovery run
Felt okay but knew I was a bit fatigued from yesterday so I decided a slow slow recovery run was better than no run recovery. 19k @ 6.00. Yes I know SLOW but that is what a recovery run is about - about strictly recovery and not about pushing it to gain some fitness.

8.4 Tuesday 24 February : A firm recovery : 18k @ 5.03
I have some new shoe inserts to rectify a signifcant imbalance in my stride and this is the first time I have run in them. I have been walking in them for a few weeks. They felt a bit odd running and I felt some muscles that had not be used for a long time or ever. So it was firm steady. I will not use them tomorrow for the usual mid week 'cruise' with JD

8.3 Wednesday 25 February : Daughters 17th Birthday !!!
Yep my little girl is 17 today. A quiet family gathering is planned at an Austrian Resturant tonight. Why Austrian - well my wife is Australian by birth but Austrian by heritage.

Onto the run. As usual 6 at the Rowers to meet up with JD. Did the usual lap at of just over 9k @4.50 despite each of us saying at the start that Sundays run was not out of our legs and 5 minute pace would be difficult. After leaving JD I thought I would push the 7k to home and did just that at 4.20 per k !!!! and dare I say it felt easy. Just goes to show you can sometimes havea good session when at the start that seems unlikely.

All up 18k @ 4.39.

8.2 Thursday 26 February : Some very firm Bays
Just needed a couple a Bay loops at a very solid pace with the second one a bit faster. Managed that with laps of 31.57 @ 4.32 and 30.33 @ 4.22. Then smashed myself with the second last day of hills.

8.1 Friday 27 February : Some steady Bays
Just some steady 2 laps asa recovery from yesterday. 33.09 @ 4.45 and 33.11 @ 4.45. Just what I wanted as I need to get my steady runs no matter the distance down to 4.45 pace. Did a couple of 800's on very tired legs just to see where I am at as they start next week. Then absolutly smashed myself on the last serious hill session.

I have the last of the Twilight Series run to night at the Bay but decided I would go allout on training effort this morning and not worry about the time tonight just run to have a good time as I have run them all.

Twilight Series : 42.35 @ 4.15 : Pleased in the Series that I was able to get down to 3 hour marathon pace of 4.15 per k but not pleased during the series to be unable to get closer to 40.

This week was the 3rd week of hills and the end of them. I now move onto the next phase after tomorrows long run. All up 142k for the week. A total of 1815k since the start of December at 140k weekly average.

3 comments:

plu said...

Thanks for chatting to me yesterday and taking the interest in how I was.

Plu

Superflake said...

Still a great pace Ray. Don't have to push too much harder to get down to sub 3hr pace.

Ewen said...

The trend is good Ray. I agree if the 30k is in the low 4:20s you're on track for the back step of the bus.

Nice recovery run!