Monday, February 02, 2009

10 weeks to Canberra Marathon

I have been a bit slack in keeping this up to date this week but here goes. It has been another week of base building - in fact the 10th since I started in the first week in December. No speed work nothing else except relentless k after k at between 4.45 and now 5.15 pace with a Friday night second session and 10k usually around 4.20 - 4.30 pace. Amazing to be able to do that pace when the training has not gone that quick.

It's Lydiard and the base building. I would not be able to sustain it for much longer that 10k at the moment but I will start working on that shortly and hopefully in another 10 weeks I will be able to put 4 x 10k together at a slightly quicker pace. It's a mystery to me how that will happen however I do have a plan for the training and all I can hope is that it will get this old body moving a bit quicker than now and a bit longer at that quicker pace.

By the way even though I say 10 weeks to go that means on the Saturday of this week it is 10 weeks. So that in the taper week it will be 1 week to go then the Monday will be 6 days to ge etc until the Saturday will be no days to go.

11.6 Sunday 1 February 31k @5.15

11.5 Monday 2 February 22k @ 5.12

11.4 Tuesday 3 February 17k @ 4.52

11.3 Wednesday 4 February 20k @ 4.43
Not much detail need. Foer 3 days decreased the distance and increased the speed. The On Wednesday increased the distance and the speed to see if that could be done on the 4th day. As it should be at this stage it wasa firm effort but well under control. That is I could have kept going. A thanks to my usual Wednesday partner JD for the quick first lap.

11.2 Thursday 5 February 19k @ 6.15
I know you will WTF and what went wrong. No all to plan - 3 x 5k loops of all the hills I can find down and round Leichhardt swimming pool and they are not fast up hill and back down but a Lydiard special to give some power and strenght to the legs in prepation for the fast work to come.

See below
http://lydiardfoundation.org/training/hilltrainingdvd.aspx

11.1 Friday 6 Febuary 25k @ 4.51
Tw0 12.5 loops. Faster and longer than last Friday. With yesterdays very tiring hill session I did not think I would be able to bonce back this morning with a solid effort. It was humid to start with an then a cool breeze came briefly and then eased off that then made conditions steamy. I as pleased to get the session over with the second loop just 30 seconds or so faster than the first.

Ventured out to Blacktown in western Sydney in the high heat for anothe 10k in the Twighlight Series. Any consideration of a quick time was abandoned as soon as I stepped out of the air conditioned car. A controlled 45.09 but it was a bit of a struggle near the end.

11 Saturday 7 February : Hills
Despite the heavy legs it was out early in the morning for a series hill session. Again 3 loops and just trying to get the technique right. I have slightly modified the loop to incorporate Lilyfiled hill. 18k all up and the pace is not important.

Summary
A good week were the pace was firm in all the runs with 165k for the week. Started to play around with some hills - they were not really serious sessions as I was just trying to get the loop right and the technique right.


3 comments:

Clairie said...

10 WEEKS to go...what would I do without you there to remind me~!!

Tesso said she caught up with you in Sydney. Sounds like you had some good runs together. Hope you pulled up well after the racing and long runs. Can't afford to get injured with just 10 short weeks to go :)

Rob said...

Yikes! Only 10 weeks!

silverfox said...

Hi mate
I havent been in the blogs for a while, but wanted to see how you are fairing for Canberra. Just from a quick read, you have a heap of kms into your legs, but need to make sure you arrive at the start injury free. I would love nothing better than to see you crack 3 hours in your 100th. No advice from me (I learnt better long ago!), just make sure you give yourself every chance by arriving at the start in the best possible shape you can, something to consider now I would say. Lets hook up soon, take care and best wishes to you, Helen and the whole James clan.
cheers Nick