Monday, February 11, 2008

Update Monday 11.02.08

I do not intend to have a stream of updates relating my feeble efforts to resume serious running so this will be the last until there is any significant news.

This morning I did my usual injured exercise program of stretching and core strenght. Then a 3k walk and at the end of that I decided on a 1k run to finish off. There was no pain but the left hamstring area felt 'different' to the right - perhaps best described as feeling tight. That could be telling me I am not yet fully recovered or I could be very anxious. I will ease back for a few days just in case.

It is so wonderful to run - well move faster but not much faster than walking. We all endure the pain of training but we should also take a few minutes each day to enjoy the absolute pleasure gained from being healthy, fit and being able to run. Next time you run do a short cool down of slow running and just take the time to feel what you are feeling. Like almost all things in life we take them for granted until we don't have them.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Progressing well Ray, and ahead of schedule too.
See you 'round the bay soon.

JD

Jen said...

Very true Eagle. Like most good things in life, we tend not to appreciate it until it's gone.

Best of luck with your continued recovery.

Tesso said...

Thanks for the reminder :-)

Unknown said...

So true Eagle.

Samurai Running said...

"feeble efforts to resume serious running."

Don't be so hard on yourself Eagle this will be but a small bump in your otherwise stirling running career.

But the above phrase could very well describe my whole career ;)

Horrie said...

Good to see your recovery progressing Ray. You are right about appreciating how good it is to be able to run.

Ewen said...

Here, here to that last sentence Ray.

Take care with it (I know you will).

Don't wait too long for the next update, or we'll be reading "12k at 3 hour marathon pace" ;)

Unknown said...

Your second last sentence is something I always do, Ray. Never hop back into the car, but rather walk for about 5 minutes, as I did this morning, thinking how fortunate I am, at my age especially, to be running, if I can still call it that, in wonderfully cool, light misty rain conditions.

Wise words, Ray & so pleased you posted those thoughts. Go well, my friend.

sook54 said...

Well done Ray - good to hear how you are progressing. We have to stay focussed during the bad times as well as the good eh what!

Hoping to keep you company sometime when you are recovering and running at my speed round the bay.

Spud said...

Good to hear you are on the way back Ray.