Monday, August 05, 2019

So what's happening and what's planned

Firstly I am away in Cairns for a week flying out early tomorrow morning. A belated family gathering  to celebrate my recent birthday as for many reasons the family could not be together. With a daughter in Victoria and a son near Byron Bay the changes for us all together is rare. Christmas day was the last time.

So some warm weather and hopefully some time for some high intensity and shortish runs. 

I have looked back on some times over the last few years and trying to judge with the right training what some of the marathons coming up might be in times. Lets look backL

                        2016              2017           2018             2019

Blacktown         X                4.26             4.20              4.15

Mudgee           5.35              4.14             4.07               ?

Sydney            5.22              4.44             4.12               ?

Melbourne      5.19               4.33             4.04               ?

Yes in 2016 I was not well at all. Since then I have improved despite the rapidly advancing years.

At the moment I am concentrating and higher intensity work to try and just get some decent speed in the legs. I want to be able to run 5k in under 25 minutes before Sydney. At the moment with a day rest I am at 25.30. But the most significant sessions I am doing at the moment are 5k reps trying  to get to a 3 x 5k session. 

My MP pace goal is 5.42 per k for a 4 hour marathon. At the moment I can easily do 2 x 5k at 26.30 each or about 5.18 pace. I am happy at the moment for the pace aspect but I need to be able to do a 3rd at the same pace. A canvas in progress at the moment.

I should have the 3 x 5k at 5.18 pace or better after Mudgee and before Sydney. If I can achieve that session before Sydney then I will have a fews weeks to consolidate it. On these previous years times it seems Melbourne will be my focus marathon for the year as it was last year.

I am do other medium distance runs of just under 20k each fews day. But speed is what I need to get close to 4 hours building on my existing solid endurance. Before Sydney I will run a rested 10kTT and to be close to 4 hours finish timeI will have to run it in 52 minutes. Who knows? It should be interesting.

No comments: