Friday, August 16, 2019

Pre Mudgee Marathon

The Mudgee Marathon is on Sunday and it will be the 17th time I have run it. I have missed it twice since it was started and ran the first. It is a challenging course that has not changed since the first one except for a slight movement of the start/finish but in the same street. 

From about 8k to 18k it is a long grind up and incline then a sharp hill over it for a k or so and back up before heading back into Mudgee that rises and falls but is generally down hill. It is usually zero degrees at the start at 7.00 am and then can rise significantly and quickly by the finish late in the morning. 

As I posted previously in 2018 I ran 4.20 at Blacktown and then 4.07 at Mudgee. This year I ran 4.15 at Blacktown so maybe just maybe I will sneak under the 4.07 from last year. It is a difficult race to pace because the course is not out and back and a lot of time to the finishing pace is lost in the first 18k. Then it is matter of how much time can be made up on the 24k run to the finish line. 

Will I be trying to be under 4.07? There is no reason why I should not give it a go and I plan do. All that is happen is that I run slower than 4.07.

I have been concentrating on shorter but quicker training sessions. I ran a lap of the Bay this morning and was better than any run this year by about 12 seconds. Not much but better than being slower. 

Photos from this morning around the Bay.



No comments: