Thursday, April 30, 2015

Did I win?


This is the name of a book about about George Sheehan a runner and writer in the later 60's until his death 1993 aged 75 from cancer. It was written after his death and contained some of the articles written by him and comments by runners and family about their memory of him. 

The question is raised by him when he was diagnosed with cancer and prompted him to consider the question not only in regard to his running but in regard to his life in general. I must admit to asking that question of myself lately.

With major surgery coming up next Wednesday to remove 4 cancer tumours there is no doubt the sunset of my life is coming closer and quicker than I could have ever expected. There have been no discussions about life expectancy and having that discussion with the Doctor is unfair on him and would probably amount to guess work by him. It would also set a time frame for me that clearly has no foundation. 

It is no doubt however that life will be shorter that I expected or planned.

How am I dealing with that. I don't think it has really set in and I suppose at the moment it is not denial that this is happening to me but .... well I don't really know what I feel or is it a feeling of unreality. That is this cannot be happening to me. I am fit. I feel health and strong but I know I have a serious issue that is not getting better and will not be cured. 

I am determined not to let this cloud that is no over me and with me to become a burden to me or others that are my family and friends. 

So back to the question. Did I win? That is the past tense. Perhaps it should be 'Am I winning?' I think so. I have have had and hope to have many more wonderful experiences with my family, with my friends and many more running experiences that bring pleasure and happiness to me and others.

An underlying question has been for a long while has been 'Why do I run?' At first it was in the early 70's because that was what was happening in the world at the time. Jogging was the in thing. Then I stopped for a while and in the 90's when I started against was to overcome alcoholism and then I just kept running. Along the way I lost weight and adopted a 'healthy lifestyle'. I have overcome alcoholism and a healthy lifestyle is now the norm. So why do I continue to run? 

It think because I can and because I just like running of the simple pleasure of running. I feel that running will now become the way I now deal with and manage this final issue presented to me in my life. 

I am not sure if this will be read and it not written for the purpose of being read but to allow me a way of spending some quiet time with my thoughts as this journey (don't you just hate the use of that word). Perhaps it is better expressed and an experience that I am going through at the moment and along with running might be a way that I find helps me cope. I might writer often I might not so often but will write when I feel the need to do so. 

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Friend...I will always be reading, following and praying that your continued journey will be one of good health ... as best it can be under the circumstances and many more exciting running experiences.

TokyoRacer said...

You're definitely a winner, Eagle. An inspiration to me and many others.
And you've still got a ways to go before you get to the finish line.

Stephen Lacey said...

Ray, you are an inspiration, not because of any particular achievements, considerable though they are, but because you've followed your heart and done what you wanted to do, for yourself and no one else. Not to prove points, but to be true to you. That in my books makes you a winner.

Samurai Running said...

When I first started running I looked at you and thought: Damn he is good! Seriously if you hadn't achieved what you did I don't think I would of, one thought it was possible and two attempted to emulate. So you are a winner in my book as anyone who inspires others is. I know that feeling of unreality you have now. I hope it stays with you because while you are feeling it anything is possible. My thoughts are with you Eagle wishing you the best!

Anonymous said...

Sending my love to you, Ray. All my thoughts are with you, Helen, and the kids as you go into this next challenge. Sending a massive hug. x

Rob said...

Hi Ray, I know bad things do happen to good people. I guess you can take each day as it comes. I am sure, for you with your tenacity, each day will be a winner. I pray that there will be lots and lots of them. Rob

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JenRuns said...

Sending my love to you Ray. Keep on running xx