Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Newcastle Marathon 5.22 - yep 5.22

First off I cannot thank my running mate Jane for being so caring and generous with her time in looking after me from about 18k to the end. Short story is a few weeks ago I ran the Orange marathon in 3.33 and one a few weeks before that another in 3.36 - yesterday 5.22. 
 
No doubt the side affects of the cancer treatment has hit me a how.

The week before I was fatigued and only ran once. I thought maybe not running was for once a wise and good taper. I started off with my mind in the fight space and my body felt good. Well the body lasted until about 7k and from then I knew I had an issue and was in serious trouble.
 
I was managing okay with the slow down but going backwards through the field very quickly. I just had no energy and was getting slower and slower and was so fatigued. Jane caught me at about 18k and said she would stay me to the finish.I am so grateful as I am sure I would have been pulled by the medics at some stage if it was not for Jane assuring everyone who saw me struggling that I was experienced and that she was looking after me. In that regard we had no issues and thankfully we did not have to deal with that as well.

I shuffled, walked, stopped and dealt with the mental demons of knowing all this started before halfway. Them the heavens opened up and at the best of times I feel the cold more than most. I was drenched and with a breeze and I am further into my discomfort zone than usual and  that added to that my struggle, like I did not need - in 175 marathons and numerous ultra's including a finish in Coast to Kozzi that was was the toughest run mentally and physically.

I was never so pleased to finish I just could not have my first marathon DNF.

AGAIN JANE THANK YOU SO MUCH.

That certainly has me thinking about my race plan for Canberra marathon next week. I will start and I will finish - just a matter of how an when.


1 comment:

Gadfly said...

2 legends running together. So pleased that you got through Ray, although with Jane by your side, anything is possible. xx