Monday, May 31, 2010

End of Month update

Yes I know its been a while.

The North Face 100k

A few weeks ago I ran TNF100k and had a run I would much rather forget. I had some some very specific training for this to be stronger on the hills. It didn't work and by the first CP at 17k I was bring up the rear of our little group and I told them to leave me. They did and I just then ran the rest by myself which was fine. I really expected to finish under 20 hours.

However by 60k that seemed unlikely and so I eased off. As it turned out too much to soon. A little later I realised I had made the wrong calculations and could have made it but now with the right calculations it was now definitely not possible.

I then rugged up for the nigh and rather enjoyed the last 33k. Finished in about 22.25.

No excuses but I went into with the flu and that just took the edge off the energy levels. Despite that I was always going to finish no matter what the time. I did rather embarrassing get some bling!!! Oldest competitor in the event.

Next two weeks

The flu stayed with me for at least the next 10 days. As result I did not train until the following Monday. I then did just 4 runs each of about 11ks. The first couple of days very slow. I mean over 6.30 per k pace. So really no running that in any way could be called training.

Williamstown Marathon: Sunday 30 May

I initial plan was to run even for just under 4 hours. But on the morning I was thinking I needed to use this a guide to where my fitness level was at considering I have done very little training that is effective since just before the Canberra marathon a month ago.

I thought I needed to know how much my fitness had dropped off in that period and a nice even 4 hour marathon would not tell me anything.
So I decided to run at 3.30 pace and see how long the fitness would hold. I suspected I would fall off but did not know how long I could last.

I ran through the half in 1.45 and was right on pace. I ran through 30k in 2.37 and had dropped 2 minutes. I then could only manage about 5.45ks to the end for 3.47. It confirmed what I suspected that with no quality training in the month the back end of the marathon was going to be slow.

I need to think whether Macleay will be a focus marathon or delay that to Gold Coast. Whatever I do the starting pace for Macleay will be critical so as to run a good even split. At this stage a 3.30 finish may not be achievable.

Today I am fine. No injuries and no niggles. In fact I am much better than I expected. I hope that translates into a quick recovery so that I can spend a week or so on some quality training with no more than a few days taper
.

3 comments:

Superflake said...

Silverfox told me on Saturday that he was doing Macleay river. Not sure how fit Nick is but he has been doing the last couple of months of Striders sunday runs. And yes Christchurch is June 6th.

TokyoRacer said...

Glad to know you are feeling good. You should probably run the next one as training and focus on the Gold Coast.

Ewen said...

Good to hear from you Ray. I'd save the big effort for Gold Coast - the flatness will help the last 10k. For Macleay, maybe a fraction off 3:30 pace is doable? Maybe 3:36 pace?