Friday, June 23, 2006

Updated Medical News

Has a wonderful birthday present yesterday - the final opinion on the injury problem and the recovery program. After a week or so of MRI's and bone scans and then doing it all again for a closer look it was diagnosed as a severe stress fracture of the left femur at the rear just above the left knee.

The good news is that no surgery is needed to pin it as was originally thought and some other problems that were a possibility were eliminated. Crutches were suggested but I declined the offer. Swimming and gentle bike riding are allowed unless there is pain.

Expected recovery time before starting to run again 3 months. No plans as to when I will start racing again as clearly it depends on the rate of recovery. I do not intend to come back too soon - I have said 'I must be patient' and that I intend to be.

Having said that I would love to be fit enough to walk/run Fitzroy Falls marathon and to be at the start for a very very controlled run/walk over GNW100. But I will not come back too early as I want this recovered and behind me in one go.

Over and out until I start back with some running.

11 comments:

Horrie said...

Gees Ray, I am not sure whether I should be happy that you don't need an operation or upset that you are out for a couple of months with a stress fracture. As I have been through it with Belinda, I will just say to be patient and make sure you recover well. After all, we are in it for the long haul. Take care mate and keep your chin up.

PortRunr said...

That's good that you can heal naturally. All the best for a speedy and thorough recovery. I look forward to reading when you're back out there again.

Tesso said...

Gee Ray, 3 months :-( The running community will sure miss you being there. But by the same token we are all glad its only 3 months and no longer.

If you don't blog while you are out of action I'm sure our favourite Aunty will keep us up to date with how you going. Maybe we can catch up for a coffee on one of my upcoming Sydney trips. And make sure you contact Clairie or I if you venture up this way.

Take care. Sending lots and lots of good thoughts your way.

PS Happy Birthday for yesterday.

Superflake said...

Sorry to hear about the confirmed stress fracture Ray. Glad you don't need surgery for the full fracture. The swimming definitely helps keep the aerobic stuff going. Hope to see you back out come October. Cheers.

Jen said...

As I said the other day, my thoughts & wishes will be with you in the coming months. I will be calling you soon to organise that coffee. I'm really looking forward to it.

....Fitzroy Falls marathon - run/walk...now you've got me thinking ;-)

Katie said...

Take care Ray and we will see you in no time :-)

Clairie said...

Happy Birthday Ray :)

Just because you can't run doesn't mean you can't support us and lend us your shoulder to cry on when we need a good whinge to our fellow runners.

So don't be a stranger whilst you are recovering from the injury. Are you able to do gym work? Maybe you will be MR. Universe when we next meet hee hee

Love clairie

Spud said...

All the very best Ray with the recovery, you can't keep a good man down for too long, I'm sure we'll see you at the races later in the year.

Carolyne said...

Gee Ray (everybody's sayng it) -
Best wishes for your birthday and the next few months.

Just as I get back into reading your blog, your out for a bit - not the Eagle! Get well, recover soon!

I hope to see you for whatever distance at Fitzroy Falls.

miners said...

Gee Ray - now I feel terrible to think it's been so long since I've kept up to date with your blog. I truly hope you're not out with this injury for much longer. After such a fantastic, injury-free running career, it must be terribly frustrating to have to sit on the sidelines and take things easy.

Equally saddened to see that you may not be spending as much time over at CR any more either. Your input to the site has been one of the more invaluable, particularly for my own pacing/racing strategies. Hope you won't be staying away for too long!

Cheers ... andrew

Ewen said...

I hope the rehab is going well Ray. Don't worry too much about Fitzroy Falls. Just get yourself right and running again. Take care and good luck.