Monday, September 21, 2015

Medical Update

I have thought long and hard and spoken to a close friend about whether I would post about my latest developments. Is there a right and wrong thing to post about. I don't know and I don't use social media very often. So what is acceptable and what is not? t. 


That question has promoted me to post. The PSA almost doubled in the three months since I was last tested. A doubling in 6 months raises concerns and will warrant some form of further treatment being undertaken. With me there was no option at the moment but to commence hormone replacement therapy HRT. That will continue for the rest of my life or until I decide to cease it because of the side affects.

Cancer arising from the prostate feeds on testosterone and so this injection ceased the production with the expectation that the cancer will not grow, I had th e first of the 3 monthly injections today (between court, picking up my race number and a meeting). Deep into the muscle so a sore backside. Not sure how that will affect the marathon on Sunday but then again it was not going to anything memorable except for how slow I will be.

I am okay. I accept I cannot change the past and there certainly is no benefit in being concerned about the future, I can't change that either. So just be in the moment like we all should be and value what happens on a daily basis.


Side affects. Many with varying degrees as we are all individuals. But the future is likely to result in me being fat, fatigued and forgetful but to what degree that will only be determined in time. So if in the future you happen to see an overweight, slow and confused runner in a marathoner it might be me.

As I said I am okay and being fat, fatigued and forgetful are fine as long as I am not just alive but engaged with, participating in and enjoying life. With that in mind my family (there adult children and partner) are all off to Europe at Christmas for just on 4 weeks in Italy, Austria and Gemany. Leaving late Christmas Day. I will be back in time to start the 2016 marathon season with the Australia Day marathon in Brisbane and hopefully many more marathons during the year and the following years.

2 comments:

Ewen said...

Thanks for posting this Ray. Saw you in the distance Sunday as I was walking back from the 9k - looked to be a real struggle for you. Glad you were able to keep the blue line streak going.

Keith S said...

All the best in your battles on and off the road Ray, you're an amazing runner , from Keith In Irl.