Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Wagga Wagga Marathon : 5.04.22



Another great weekend away travelling to Wagga from Sydney.

I arrived in Wagga about 5 pm on Saturday with beautiful blue clear skies and sunshine for the sat half of the 5 hour drive down. Rain was predicted but certainly did not look like it. However t steady light rain started in the early hours of Sunday morning was still happening as I was getting ready for the early 7.30 start (provided to the over 60 runners). A slight wind required thought about the selection of clothing. Opted for tights and light hooded jacket and long sleeve top underneath. You can always take off a lawyer. I was pleased I did as the light jacket stayed on the whole time and I never felt uncomfortable. Then again I was not moving too quickly either. Shoes were not an issue it was always going to be trail.

The week leading up to the race was one where my energy levels ebbed and flowed more that usually. Partly I think being the recovery from the previous double marathon weekend. I was also very busy with work and my usually good eating routine was out late in the week. 

I felt strong and comfortable until about 23k into the marathon. Just after that the 4k of very tight technical section starts and I am not good on them. Too much of a fairy. Was also feeling a little fatigued and light headed and on reflection i was probably a bit dehydrated. Anyway not an excuse. If I was it was my fault. Just an explanation. 

I struggled through the technical section and it did not get much better from 30k to the end. I kept moving forward as quick and as best as I could but it was not pretty. I am not used to that struggle after 30 as I usually come home strong but that is what happens in marathons. 

The 5.04 finish was slower than I expected but then again the course in parts was full on mud and the going was slow. Overall this marathon did not leave any pleasant positive feeling as some do.Despite my difficulty with technical trails the run was enjoyable in regard to running through some great countryside and I did take the time to take some pics. 

Yes there were many hills and no this is not the tight technical sections. I enjoyed the rolling hills and the wide track. The technical came later and I was just in the mood at the time to stop for pictures. 

I need to recover and get mu head in a good space for Mudgee next weekend. I know the course well and hope I can fix the things I did not watch last week in the lead up. 







2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to read you made it through Ray - I'm unsure why we never saw you as there weren't many people at the race - I replied to your email - not sure if you not received or are very busy - take care.

Ewen said...

Sorry I missed you Ray. I enjoyed the technical section but blew up soon after down on the flats. And I was only running the half!