Monday, July 14, 2014

Dolls Point Marathon: 3.28.48

Well I started off as planned with the aim of a sub 3.30 finish and then see how long I held on for. Obviously I held on to the finish. 

I rarely looked at my Garmin as I wanted to run to feel. When I did check I was averaging about 4.55 per k pace. That felt comfortable but at the very top end of that. So as the race went on it was a matter of how long I could sustain the pace and whether last weeks run and a solid week of training would cause a quick slow down because of fatigue.

A strong head wind come up on the last lap and there was a 5k battle with that before the turnaround and the hope it would be a tailwind on the run home. For me it felt like a tailwind or perhaps it was just the lack of the headwind.

I amazed to be under 3.30 again. What ever is happening I intend to squeeze as much out of this form fro as long as I can. So I will continue with some hard training sessions but training smart - that is maximum benefit for the minimum effort. 

Another one next weekend at the Hunter Valley. It is a tough course with some long inclines that take away the leg speed on the flats and downhills. Ah well, take each course as it comes.

No comments: