Monday, March 23, 2009

Last month to Canberra Marathon

27 days : SMC 30k : 2.13.20 @ 4.26
I said 4.25 pace and also said that would be difficult. I was not far off the expected pace although it would not have been unreasonable to expect to run at 4.20 per k pace at this stage of the preparation and with the 3 days off. Taking into account the long hills all over the course the splits were about even with the first 5k and last 5k both at 4.26 by fluke.

The split from 5 -15k was at 4.22 pace which was more like it but the 15 - 25k split because of all of the hills was at 4.31 pace.

Did it tell me much about Canberra - yes and no. I am not yet ready and may not be able to get close to 3 in the time left but I am also tantalisingly close that it will drive me on in the next few weeks to left the speed level as high as I can. I suspect I will get to the start line with no idea of the end time but will have a positive attitude and go out at 3 hour pace and put it on the line. I t would just not be smart to back off the attempt before a step is run.

However I believe under 3 will not happen and the time will be between 3.05 - 3.10 but the aim will always to go quicker. Lets see what happens in 4 weeks time. The unknown is always the attraction of the marathon. So much effort goes into the preparation and and the outcome is always uncertain until you cross the finish line.

This week is about a mini recovery and some high end speed work.

M: Rest with no run
T: 1 hour easy jog
W : 3k TT and 45 minutes at 4.40
T: Lap of the Bay under 30 and 8 x 200 strides with 200 recovery
F: 45 minutes easy
S : 5k TT
S : 2.30 at about 4.40

26 days : Monday 23 March : No run

25 days : Tuesday 24 March : No run
I was down for an easy jog of one hour as a recovery. But some early appointments and feeling a bit fatigued I thought no run was almost as good as what was planned.

24 days: Wednedsay 25 March: Run with JD & 9.2k @ 4.28
On reflection I was very disappointed with the run on Sunday. It should have been much quicker to give me the confidence I wanted but then again if I ran MP then I might be worried that I had peaked too early and might loose that peak before Canberra. However as I am following a full Lydiard program I should not be concerned because the theory is that you will only be ready on the day - the program is designed to have you ready on a particular day and I guess that implied not a month before.

Still the disappointment has made it difficult to get fully motivated for this last 4weeks. So it was with a less than positive attitude that I dragged myself out of bed after a very long day and very late night. I meet JD as usual at the Rowers at 6.00am.

We started of firm and some wide ranging chatting as usual. I then started to think I needed to actually participate in these training sessions and not just go through the motions. We have often referred to our good mate Vats comment about running and pushing yourself so that it felt like acid running through your veins. No that sounds like the ultimate HTFU attitude.

With that in mind and after 3 or so k I decided to enter the training session and put the foot down hard enough to generate some acid. Resulted in the quickest run on this loop so far but then again I started the hard run for home much earlier in the loop. The end pace was much better that than the negative attitude earlier would have suggested.

Then really did jog the recover run home and enjoyed some of the early morning sights of the Bay.

23 days to go: Thursday 26 March: 2 x Bay
I forgot to look at the program before running and so I did 2 laps of the Bay with a 5 minutes break and so missed to 200m run throughs. Bays at 30.15 @ 4.19 and 30.30@ 4.21 -each should have been below 30 despite giving each lap what I thought wasa full effort. Maybe there is still some residual tiredness in the legs from last Sunday.

22 days to go: Friday 26 March : Bay 30.11 @4.19
My actaul training and my planned training have been widely different this week. Mainly because work has required some very early appointments that cut into my early morning time and I just refuse to get out of the house for arun at 4.30am and then get to bed at 11.00pm and something has to give.

I had a very early morning city conference so all I had time for was one very quick lap of the Bay. My 8 x 200's have not occurred this week. Today was close to what I had planned.

Missing some key sessions at this time isa bit of a worry but there is nothing I can do about it. If they are not done the are not done. But I have some very key sessions in the next 2 weeks at important sharpeners and I just hope that I can get all of them done when planned.

21 days to go: Saturday: Planned 5kTT
It didn't happen. I was at my daughters softball final very early and thankfully they won and are in the Grand Final next week for the third year in a row. Winners the last 2 years. Lets hope they can make it 3 in a row.

I was then quickly off to the second day of a Conference until well after dark.

Summary of the week:
I was not really pleased with the week. I just never felt like I was 'involved and engaged' in any of the sessions. I had a lot going on around me with work and I was very distracted. Also at the end of the big k weeks the weeks that are now short on distance but high on intensity always seem like a let down mainly because the focus of the training changes. Marathoners are used to the long hard runs and it is a bit of a shock to the system to have a short but intense session. It just never seems enough distance and so is unsettling. Also perhaps no endorphis are created in the short sessions.

Week 17 just 75ks in total with 2 rest days and a missed day
Total 2282
Average 134 k.



4 comments:

Clairie said...

Sub 3 is definitely where I see you headed. Together with the great training you have done and the guts and determination on the day..you'll pull it off.

Just focus on limiting your exposure to illness or injury.

Superflake said...

Good pace yesterday Ray.I still reckon that course would add 10 secs a k to your time so I believe your pace is good. A flat run around the bay at MP pace should tell you if your on for sub 3.

Rob said...

As I have been told ofen enough, and you have experienced more times than I can count, the big day is always different to the preparation. So I have no doubt that the atmosphere of the race will be enough to give you whatever extra you need for a sub 3.

Ewen said...

I can see how tantalising the 3 hour attempt is Ray. At least the training shows you're close enough if all goes well on the day. If not, you won't be far over.

All the best this week.