Sunday, June 08, 2008

MacLeay River Marathon : 3.06.04

A couple of minutes slower than last year but okay as a solid run before Gold Coast in 4 weeks.

Got to half in 90.11. I thought I would be a minute faster but there was a solid head wind from 10 to 21. I thought I might be able to hold the pace back but that wasn't to be the case and the time just drifted back to 22.45 for 5k's on the second leg. So I didn't get slower and slower just no ability to hold the faster pace.

Second half was 95.23 and I was not pleased with the large slow down. Although my plan was to run 90 for the half and see what condition I was in and so then be able to determine what needs to be done for the next marathon.

I will work on the second half speed between now and Gold Coast with a big increase in the speed work. I should have the Lydiard base and so for the first time this year I will incorporate some speed work to gain that 6 minutes.

It was a close run in the age group with Greg Love passing me at 23k and me hanging on 25 meters or so until 35k. It was then I thought if I was going to beat him I would do it by passing him then and giving him 7k to get it back. It was a real struggle to make up the small gap and I really thought that effort would burn me out and he would soon come back - if he did I was not sure if I could have raised the effort both physical and mental to pass him again. I took a breath and made the effort and passed him and did not look back and managed a 40 second or so victory.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations, 3:06 was an excellent time. I ran 3.06 at Canberra and am going to the GC so I will be watching tyour training with interest if you don't mind. Alan Mc.

Anonymous said...

A fine effort Ray, congratulations.

A few speed sessions around the bay with the Prof should have you in tip top shape for your Gold Coast assault.

JD

Rob said...

Another blistering marathon Ray. Knowing how hard you will work between now and the Gold Coast, I can imagine that you will be setting a cracking pace.

Robert Song said...

As always the master of understatement. 3:06 OK as a solid run!! Sounds like a more than decent marathon time to me. Certainly the speed work will give you the added zip for GC.

Some titles I would have liked to seen for this post -
Love Wanes,
or maybe
Passing Love Interest ;-)

Anonymous said...

Ray,

A solid of run of 3:06 is something I can only dream about.

When are you going to write that book? The one that describes how to get faster as we get older ;)

Fantastic run & I look forward to another great one at the GC.

Cheers,
KK

Jen said...

Congratulations Ray on what is still a fantastic time. With GC in 4 weeks time, that race was probably a perfect hitout so you know where you are right now. A couple of weeks of speed work & my prediction is that you'll be flying (even faster) come GC!

Ewen said...

You did well Ray. Your consistency is amazing!

I hope the speedwork does the trick and gets you that 6+ minutes. I think it will - from reading the Mystery Coach posts, strenthening the 'upper' muscle fibres will give them the endurance to 'help out' at the end of the marathon. 4:10 pace should also feel more relaxed.

See you soon.