Tuesday, November 08, 2016

LONG long absence - so a brief update

I am embarrassed that my last post was in August. The months have flown and I suppose I have not posted because really there was not much to report. My last report was the Mudgee marathon where I was 5.35 and marathon #235.

I am now up to marathon #240 having run Carcoar on the weekend. 

Since Mudgee I have run the following marathons:

Dubbo 5.39
I thought I would run well but it did just not go that way. It is essentially 3 loops. Halfway around the last loop it became a real struggle with more walking that running. The time was close to Mudgee but this one had more walking in the back end. I no doubt went out too fast then lost it all in the slow second half. Sometimes you just never learn from experience. Too fast too early. 

Sydney 5.22
A much more even paced run. Still slower in the second half compared to the first half but they were close to each other. The second half was nice and steady with no walking and never felt like i would. Overcast cool weather was a huge help.

Western Sydney 5.17
About time I focused on some steady even paced halves. The are not quite even as I am still going out  a bit too fast in the first half but improving. Again ran all the way. Full sunshine so the weather/increasing heat was a slight factor. 

Melbourne 5.19
Love the race. Love the buzz of starting off with about 6000 other marathoners first the biggest marathon in Australia. People line most of the course that is on the roads (Albert Park) is a bit quiet but then again you are just trying to get into a rhythm at that stage. 

The course is flat but the wind of the Bay can be an issue. I could the conditions not really and issue. I really struggled from 32/33k (who doesn't) and it was a very uncomfortable run/walk until Federation Square and about 2k to go and the head lifts, the stride lengthens and the pace increases knowing the quicker you go the sooner the pain and agony will be over. 

Maybe out a fraction too quick and paid for it suffering at the end but not much damage done to the end time.

Carcaor 5.01

The course is hills, hills and more HILLS. There is off course 2 halves but it is useless to time one against the other as the second half is much tougher and just after 32k there is a 3k hill that at best you can only walk up and briskly might at that stage be an ask that the body and mind cannot meet.

I walked it, knowing I was bleeding time big time but not concerned about that issue at all. I just wanted to get the top and start what is an up and down section to the finish line with more down that up. I had not idea of my time. I know my overall pace but was in no way capable at the time of even guessing at a finishing time.

Crossed the finish line and someone said 5.01 and I thought they were wrong. It should not have been  quicker that any of the previous ones because the course is brutal. But I will talk it.

I have not training a lot between marathons and so to maintain a finishing time does surprise me. A few more to run before the end of the year and then folks we do it all again. 


No comments: