Thursday, June 30, 2016

Short update and the ending of the 'Wednesday hot lap of the Bay'

Its been quite a while since my last entry. A discussion on Tuesday remind me that I still have a Blogg and that some do read it. I also have FB page but that is not really appropriate for reflections. At one time it was a daily entry on the mornings run. But the mornings runs do not occur daily any more and really who is really that interested in that minute detail.

So irregular updates it is.

So last posted about the Barrossa Marathon. Nice time 4.34 and a good feeling run.

I then ran 3 in 5 days at North Head. They were scenic and never meant to be quick but just to last the    3 in good shape. Each was quicker than the previous finishing with a 4.58. A week off and off to South West Rocks and a nice 4.40 at a great event that has been held for I think 35 years. 

Next weekend down to Melbourne to run a marathon and as well to spend time with my daughter who lives there and works as a panel operator and on air announcer at FOX FM. After her on air shelf on Saturday we were lucky enough to have a tour and look at the studio she works out of. Very proud of her achievement and her drive to be successful 

A marathon on Sunday that would be best forgotten. Started to high hopes of a tome at least equal to South West Rocks as it was flat and 17 laps. It didn't take long for me to realise that the mind was willing but the body was not willing. Struggle, struggle, walk some, run some. So pleased to have it over in about 5.48. Now forgotten.

Then:

  • a birthday that was very quite;
  • hormone injection and a very sore backside for a few days;
  • and the funeral of my great mate and running buddy JD.
For almost 10 years we would meet almost weekly on Wednesday at the Rowers at 6.00 am for a lap of the Bay the we affectionately called a hot lap of the Bay. The mornings run was usually r]posted here as it was the only run during the week that I shared with another runner. They did not occur as often over 2015 and not at all in 2016.

Sadly on the 16 June he took his own life. Such a shame to lose such a great person and friend in such a way. He is gone but my memory of the runs and trips we shared together will not be forgotten. 

I know he would have expected all who knew him to continue with their life and not have his death become a burden. Much easier said than done. But JD as best as I can as time moves on I will try to move on but never forget how much your friendship meant to me. 


This weekend up to Gold Coast on Friday morning. We will visit my son and his partner at their cafe and pecan farm just out of Lismore on Friday. A marathon on Saturday morning and then the Gold Coast marathon on Sunday. No idea of the time as I have no idea where the body and mind will be on the day.

I need a strong mind and body as I have planned a marathon each weekend until the 28 August at Dubbo and then a short break to Sydney.

2 comments:

TokyoRacer said...

Glad to see that you're keeping up with the blog and with the marathons.
It's like those workouts when you just don't feel good at all: the time is not important, it's the getting out there and doing it that matters.

KatiePem said...

Hi Eagle ive seen your post on cool runnings regarding a brisbane marathon entry... I'm sorry to contact you via your blog but for some reason I've been unable to reply to your post even after registering... Is the entry still available?? I am happy to pay for it. I will try to respond on cool runnings again tomorrow - my name is KatiePem you can contact me at kepemberton@hotmail.com... You have a very impressive running history - Thanks Eagle Cheers Kate