Tuesday, April 14, 2009

6 days to go and the TAPER

The last week of 20 since I started back at the end of November. I know I could not have done much more but the overwhelming feeling is that I should have squeezed a bit more but I know that would have not been possible and not risk injury for a rather minor gain if any. Apart from 4 taper days I have missed just 5 other days out of the 135 days to date and I have averaged almost 135k a week over that period. I know I could just not have done anymore.

The running plans for this week are:
S: Easy 45 minutes
M : Hard 7k, easy 5k & 10 hils
T: Easy 60 minutes
W: Maybe 5kTT or just 3kTT
T: Either easy or 3 x 1k at Timbrell
F: Rest
S: Easy 30 minutes and some quiet time to reflect

6 days: Sunday 12 April: Very easy around the Bay
I really was not concerned if I ran or rested. So no alarm and no stress to run. Eventually decided to run and out about 7.45. It was no more than an amble accross Iron Cove Bridge when I ran into Blue Dog and we chatted for a while. Then continued and completed with 3k @4.00.

5 days: Monday 13 April
Firm 7k @ 4.18 then easy for 5k. Hill strides of about 250 up and then back. Concentrating on knee lift and strong ankle push off. Just on 4 minutesa loop.

4 days: Tuesday 14 April: Easy 60 minutes
Really no concern about the pace but I was interested to see what pace resulted from a 80% of MHR effort. Over 3 k's that was 4.21 pace so with a bit more of a taper I might have 80% at 3 hour pace.

3 days: Wednesday 15 April: 5kTT in 19.40 @ 3.56
Pleased to get under 20 again with a firm effort but perhaps just holding back a little so that no strain happens. Some months ago I though getting under 20 would never happen again as it just seemed at that time too fast and just too hard. Its nice to be able to to run them seemingly at will or at least 3 time in the taper.

It would be nice to hold that fitness or lose it and gain it again so I could go under when I am 60 in June. I might just sneak that in just before the Gold Coast marathon or I should be positive and believe that I will just hold that pace for the next few months. I like that idea better.

9 comments:

sook54 said...

Keeping all my appendages crossed for you on Sunday Ray - I will be there with the CR cheersquad hopefully giving you a bit of a lift over the last few kms.

Jen said...

Best of luck for Sunday Ray. You have had a great preparation. Unfortunately I won't be at the race this year but my thoughts will be with you.

Hamburglar said...

Good luck for the sub 3 Eagle.

Anth said...

Ray,

Like Phil Collins, I can feel it coming in the air tonight (or this Sunday).

It has been an absolute pleasure to read your blog for the past 4-5 months and to follow your journey and progress.

Best of luck for Sunday. I hope that you achieve the 3 hour goal, but irrespective, massive congratulations on getting yourself to this point and on completing what will be your 100th marathon.

Amazing.

cheers,
Anth

Superflake said...

Good luck Sunday Ray. Hope you run well. No leaning sideways until you hit the bar after the race.

Ewen said...

The 19:40 is very encouraging Ray. The sub-3 attempt is on for sure. Whatever the result on Sunday you've laid a solid foundation for GC.

Robert Song said...

Hope all goes well for you on Sunday and you are able to reap what you have sown.

The century mark is a massive milestone as well.

Sorry I won't be there to cheer you on this year.

Dan said...

Ray, all the best for Sunday. I've been keeping up to speed on your blog and for my money it seems like you're going to hit that 3 hour mark in style. I really hope you do, and know you'll do everything possible to smash it.

Looking forward to catching up on your return and at some of the marathons over the winter

Rell said...

Ray, all the very best for TOMORROW! (Wow that has come around quickly...) You really are an inspiration, 100 marathon's is amazing whether you make it under 3hrs or not. I have my fingers crossed though and I really hope you get there. Enjoy all of the celebrations afterwards, you deserve it!